[wingide-users] "search in files" annoyance + something else

johannes raggam raggam-nl at adm.at
Thu Oct 2 03:34:33 MDT 2008

hi there,

the "search in files" feature is definetly cool and was among the
features which convinced me to buy a licence :) (i'm coming from jedit
and there is also such a feature called hypersearch).

but: when opening wingIDE the last entered search term is prefilled in
the search field and wingIDE begins doing an expensive search while also
parsing my python path which is huge (zope, plone, etc.).

in my opinion the search-field could be blanked much more often. like
when switching to another tool-tab ("search in files" -> "breakpoints"
or something else).

also when opening another "document window" the value in the search
field is also prefilled with the one from the parent window.

maybe provide a "clear this field" button.

plus: i mentioned jedit: a little but sometimes handy feature they have
is: you can copy the path and filename of the current buffer to the
clipboard :) i use this feature sometimes when i do some documentation
about what i did.
plusplus: jedit saves the results in expandable nodes when you did a
hypersearch (like wingide's "search in files"). so you can refer to
older searches later on. the search results are not dynamically updated,
which is ok. (but i love wingides dynamically updated search results)
plusplusplus: i cannot copy the wingide version information in the about
dialog at once.

yea, please change this until tomorrow!

;)

just joking.