[wingide-users] Autocomplete python more liberally

Peter Bengtsson peter at fry-it.com
Tue Nov 25 16:09:20 MST 2008

2008/11/24 Wingware Support <support at wingware.com>:
> Peter Bengtsson wrote:
>> Is it possible to configure wing to autocomplete words that aren't
>> necessarily defined variables, functions or methods.
>> I'm from Emacs/Jed land where M-. autocompletes the word you're cursor
>> is on if the word has been written anywhere before in the buffer.
>> I often find that I'm typing words that have been written before in
>> things like comments or inside python strings. In fact I'd be happy to
>> separate the functionality from the usual autocomplete which pops up
>> as a list.
> There's not way to do this now in Python code, but it's an option we've been
> looking at
> adding.  The completer for non-Python code already does this (although it
> separates out
> words by context -- code vs comment vs string vs template tags).  So it may
> not be a
> stretch to drive completion w/in comments and strings at least using the
> same code.
> I'll try to look at this; it's something I've been wanting also but haven't
> had time to
> work on yet.

I'm realizing more and more how great Wing is but I'm also realizing
how much I miss the autocomplete.
How about a custom plugin script that I can bind to a keyboard command
that takes as a parameter the word the cursor is at and the whole
buffer as a string?
I'm happy to get my hands dirty if I can get some assistance.

> Thanks,
> --
> Stephan Deibel
> Wingware | Python IDE