[wingide-users] Arrow key indent issue

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Nov 24 07:40:24 MST 2008

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> I like using Wing's default formatted function and class definitions
> as I think they make the code look more professional. However, when I
> go to use my arrow keys to move my cursor into my parameter list, the
> function or class will start indenting or dedenting. The same thing
> happens when I try to use my arrow keys to get to the middle of the
> docstring that is automatically created. I found I could hold
> CTRL+arrow key to stop the indenting stuff on the definition line, but
> it doesn't work for the docstring. Instead I either jump to the
> beginning or end.
>
> I use my keyboard as much as possible, so grabbing the mouse and
> positioning is slightly annoying, especially if my cursor is on my
> secondary monitor. Not a big deal, but I was wondering if there is a
> way to turn off this feature? I am using Wing Pro 3.1.5-1, Python 2.5.2.

You should be able to use the Tab key to move among the fields of the
templates, rather than the arrow keys.
I think I agree, however, that indent/dedent should be ctrl-arrows
rather than arrows.  The rationale for
the current behavior was that people won't tend to find the
functionality if it's ctrl-arrows, but it's not hard
in most cases to get the template to be placed right in the first place.