[wingide-users] text size with new X11 2.3.2 on MacOS

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Nov 20 06:36:27 MST 2008

Luc Bourhis wrote:
> the latest release of the X11 system for MacOS, 2.3.2 rc1, sets the
> default resolution to 96 dpi. As a result, the text in WingIDE becomes
> far too big. I have been using Luxi Mono 11 pt for the Python code and
> the actual text size on the screen corresponded roughly to 11 pt in
> native applications. However with that new version of X11, I need to use
> 8 pt to get the same actual size on the screen. I am sure this is a dpi
> problem because if I start the XServer with -dpi 72, text size gets back
> to what it used to be.
>
> Is there anything Wing-specific which could explain that bad behaviour?
> Has anybody any suggestions as to what to do?

I think starting with -dpi 72 is the best option right now.  GTK (or pango)
should be detecting the dpi and adjusting font sizes, I believe, but it is
apparently failing to do so.  We'll have to track down whether this is
another bug in X11 2.3.2rc1 (e.g. failure to report correct resolution)
or a bug in our version of GTK/pango.

Thanks for reporting this.