[wingide-users] text size with new X11 2.3.2 on MacOS

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Tue Nov 18 15:11:14 MST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Luc Bourhis wrote:
> the latest release of the X11 system for MacOS, 2.3.2 rc1, sets the
> default resolution to 96 dpi. As a result, the text in WingIDE becomes

That's probably the correct value for the hardware.  You can either
physically measure your viewable screen & divide by pixels, or set a
value and grep around in xdpyinfo (sp?) to see what size it thinks
your screen is (usually in millimeters).

> far too big. I have been using Luxi Mono 11 pt for the Python code
> and the actual text size on the screen corresponded roughly to 11 pt
> in native applications. However with that new version of X11, I need
> to use 8 pt to get the same actual size on the screen. I am sure
> this is a dpi problem because if I start the XServer with -dpi 72,
> text size gets back to what it used to be.

1 pt == 1/72 of an inch.  You can always measure if you care, but for
non-layout apps, I just pick something that doesn't make my eyes hurt
& don't worry about the actual number.

> Is there anything Wing-specific which could explain that bad
> behaviour? Has anybody any suggestions as to what to do?

Either change your fonts or tell the xserver to start with -dpi 72.
Dunno how to do that on a Mac, it was always a PITA with KDM/GDM on
Ubuntu.

X11 on OS X: will the fun ever stop?

--Pete