[wingide-users] Is this a WingIDe related error?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Nov 10 07:16:54 MST 2008

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> When trying to use pdb, I get this error om Mac OS X with Python 2.4.
>
>   File "2.4/src/debug/tserver/dbgserver.pyc", line 694, in
> _SysSetTraceReplacement
> RuntimeError: WARNING: sys.settrace(<bound method Pdb.trace_dispatch
> of <pdb.Pdb instance at 0x632cd00>>) called:  This breaks some
> debugger functionality.  Use 'Ignore this exception location' in the
> Exceptions tool and restart debugging to suppress this warning
>
> This sounds like a WingWare error? Is it, and in that case how do I
> get rid of it? I can't set "Ignore this exception location", because
> the error doesn't appear in WingIDE but in the terminal.

Doing sys.settrace() blows away Wing's debugger so it will cease to
function in most cases.  Hence this warning.  You could try doing "Ignore
this Exception Location" in the Exceptions tool and then restarting debug.
However, pdb is a debugger and you really should choose one or the other
at any given time.  If you want to use pdb, then execute code rather than
debugging it.

BTW, if you're getting this in the Python Shell then you're run into
a basic limitation of the shell:  It's based on our debugger and thus
you can't use pdb in it.  In that case, you can't ignore the exception
as the message seems to indicate (but really shouldn't in this case;
that's a bit of a bug).