[wingide-users] ssh tunneling + remote debugging + file mapping?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Nov 4 12:14:07 MST 2008

Peter J. Bismuti,1588618,PRD wrote:
> I'm usingg ssh tunneling so that I can run the IDE locally and have a process
> running on a remote machine behind a firewall connect back to the ide using
> the port "localhost:50005".
>
> One of the snags with this is that file mapping is not recognized with a
> server defined as "localhost", if you manually enter it into the preferences
> file it will be stripped out.  I did learn that you can use "127.0.0.1"
> instead with the file mapping definition and the IDE will accept it and it
> does seem to work.  Agreed?

127.0.0.1 shouldn't be a problem.  localhost not working is a bug, but
127.0.0.1 should work in any case.

> The problem I've been having seems to be that if a shell command that takes a
> long time is executed the debugger will get lost and not reattach itself.   I
> played with it for several days and I think now it is working after I set the
> "embedded" flat to 1.

Were you able to determine if your ssh tunnel stayed connected even when
no data was sent over it for a period of time?  (We've exchanged emails
on this issue before, and I believe this is an unanswered question).  Do
you start your application by running a python script or some other,
non-python executable?

Note that the debugger is not designed to automatically detach and
reattach.  Detaching and reattaching may be done explicitly by the user,
but I don't think you're trying to do this.