[wingide-users] The p and P commands don't work right in vim

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Fri May 30 19:05:06 MDT 2008

Ok, I did a bit more testing to find out what is going on...

Turns out Wing is grabbing one character too many. Example:

# A test line.
# Now is the time.

In Wing, if I put the cursor on the first character of 'line', hit 'v', and
then hit l 4 times to select 'line.' those 5 characters are highlighted as
expected. It "looks" right. But hitting y (yank) grabs 'line.' as well as the
trailing newline. So any pastes in the middle of the following line end up on
a line of their own.

This is different than Vim in 3 ways:
- Wing is grabbing one more character than it actually shows selected. It's
grabbing the one under the cursor as well as the one to the left (which is
highlighted). Vim only grabs those characters that are highlighted (i.e. to
the left of the cursor).
- In vim, you can't grab the newline no matter how many times you hit 'l', you
have to hit 'j' to get the newline.
- In vim, even if you intentionally grab the trailing newline, when you paste
it into the middle of another line, it pastes the newline (thereby splitting
the line) but it does not put the pasted text on a line of its own.

Clear as mud?

Michael