[wingide-users] OS X: Right command/option key woes

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Fri May 30 13:35:28 MDT 2008

On May 20, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Wingware Support wrote:

> Pete wrote:
>> On Leopard/latest Wing, the right Command & Option keys don't work
>> correctly.  The command key does nothing (you just get a regular
>> letter) whereas the option key seems to kick into an alternate
>> entry mode - option-p gives a pi symbol, for example.  I've tried
>> with the "Fix option key bug in tiger" both on & off, restarting
>> X11 in between.
>> I'm using Xquartz 2.2.1 - (xorg-server 1.3.0-apple20) from
>> macforge, as suggested on this list. Sent this to the mailing list
>> b/c it may be an X11 issue...  anyone?
>
> I think Xquartz has changed some things to act like normal X11 instead
> of Apple X11, tho at the moment I'm at a loss to completely explain
> it (and that may be a good thing ;-).
>
> Anyway, the magic incantation that should fix it is:
>
> Go into Wing's preferences, set the User Interface / Keyboard /
> Global X11 alt key preference to "No alt key / not Apple X11",
> press OK, quit Wing, quit X11, and restart Wing.
>
> I've only got Leopard on a Macbook that lacks a right Option key
> but the above does fix the right Command key for me when before
> it acted as you described.
>
> If this doesn't help, please let me know.

That fixes the right Command key, but totally disables the ability to
use either option key to activate menu items.  Option-<letter> now
gives the alternate entry mode for both keys.  I'm a heavy keyboard
user, so this isn't so good.  I'm also trying to break myself of the
bad habit of hitting modifiers with the same hand as letter keys, so
not having right modifiers is bad too. ;-(

If you've got a patch you'd like to send me in private to test, I'd be
happy to.