[wingide-users] Impending Doom - or Unprivileged Install on Vista

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu May 29 09:29:29 MDT 2008

Harald Blåtand wrote:
> Hi, and first of all, Thanks for a great product!!
>
> I and several colleagues are using WingIDE since several years, and I am
> currently on 3.1 on Vista. (Some of us have even paid for it privately,
> to avoid the office paperwork.)
>
> Now to my question.
> Hard times are coming. Our company (one of those Big Pharma giants) is
> about to launch a new corporate standard PC client, based on Vista, for
> 60,000 seats. Our IT operations are outsourced to IBM. The outsourcing
> contract states that no PC user - and that means NO ONE - will have
> admin rights on his computer. No, not even developers. And no one will
> be able to install software.
>
> Since Vista's "Installer Detection" reacts to "An Installer", without
> bothering to find out whether it really needs admin rights, a user
> wanting to use some new software will have no choice but to file a
> request to IBM to get it packaged for installing via SMS. There will be
> lead times. And frustration.
>
> But there are ways around it. An installer may explicitly tell Vista, "I
> won't be needing admin rights", and "Installer Detection" will let it
> through. (Of course, should the installer try to do something
> privileged, it'll still be caught later.) This is documented by
> Microsoft, and seems to work fine.
>
> So - have you guys been thinking about providing an unprivileged WingIDE
> installer for Vista, along these lines? If you already have it and I
> missed it, I apologize. I'd be happy to provide some humble pieces from
> my own experience, if needed.

I'm guessing that our current installer won't be accepted by Vista's installer
detection, and may not work even if it were since it tries to write to parts
of the registry that are probably not allowed for 'unprivileged' installers.

I've added this as a fairly high priority item for us to look at.  Hopefully
your company is not going to move faster than we can get this addressed.

Thanks for bringing this up.