[wingide-users] Stripping Whitespace on Autosave and Cursor Positioning

EpsilonAJS amberjs at gmail.com
Mon May 19 14:29:42 MDT 2008

I really appreciate the new option to strip trailing whitespace on save.
However, there a few annoying quirks that need to be worked out, IMO.  Here
are my suggestions:

1) Don't strip trailing whitespace on autosave.  Sometimes I'll be typing
away and the autosave will trigger, causing the whitespace at the end of my
current line to be stripped.  Not only does this have the potential to undo
valid, in-progress spacing, but it becomes a huge annoyance when combined
the second issue below.

I'm assuming the above happens because a real-save and an autosave generate
the same event.  If so, I think autosaves should be differentiated from real
saves and "real-save events"  should not be generated on autosave.  Autosave
is logically-separate operation from a real-save (autosave is just saving a
temporary copy of the file, right? - that seems to be what the documentation
says), so it's not obvious to me that they should generate the same event.

2) Don't position the cursor at the beginning of the current line if you've
just stripped whitespace from that line.  Right now, Wing does this every
time regardless of current cursor position.  First, it shouldn't be
necessary to reposition the cursor at all unless it's in the block of
trailing whitespace that's being stripped.  Second, even if it is necessary
to reposition, it's a lot less frustrating to position it at the end of the
current line.

These issues have been consistently bothering me and other coworkers, so we
hope you'll consider these suggestions.

Thanks