[wingide-users] pi files

John Burnett JBurnett at blizzard.com
Thu May 15 13:28:23 MDT 2008

I think I'm having a hard time getting some pi files working, and was wondering what I'm missing.  Sorry for the length below, but I'm trying to cover my setup.  To describe the problem - I'm using a program call Maya that has python embedded, and it ships with some files like this:

####
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\Python\Lib\site-packages\maya\__init__.py
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\Python\Lib\site-packages\maya\OpenMaya.pyd
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\Python\Lib\site-packages\maya\OpenMaya.pyc
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\Python\Lib\site-packages\maya\OpenMayaAnim.pyd
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\Python\Lib\site-packages\maya\OpenMayaAnim.pyc
etc..
####

...not there's no py files.  SO, my first question is, will pi files help in this situation?  I'm *assuming* so?

Under that assumption, I have a set of pi files like this:

####
c:\Users\jburnett\AppData\Roaming\Wing IDE 3\pi-files\OpenMaya.pi
####

...which have what you'd expect inside:

####
class MAngle(object):
  def __init__():
    pass
etc...
####

My "Edit, Preferences, Source Analysis, Advanced, Interface File Path" contains this:

####
pi-files
c:\Users\jburnett\AppData\Roaming\Wing IDE 3\pi-files <- just for good measure.. not needed?
####

Additionally, my "Project, Properties, Python Path" is set to "Custom", with "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2008\Python\Lib\site-packages" added to it.

Lastly, if I make a new python file, and type this:

####
import maya.OpenMaya as om
om.
####

....I don't get any auto-complete information.  Should I be at this point?  The frustrating bit is that two other people here are using Wing, and one's auto-complete IS working, while the other isn't either.  I can't see what's different between my setup and the working setup, so... I'm missing something I think...

Thanks for any help,