[wingide-users] Debugging a Python executable (py2exe)

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed May 7 12:58:22 MDT 2008

Tony Cappellini wrote:

>      >>Wing won't be able to read it out of the zipfile anyway.
>
> The question is-Why is it looking there?

It looks in the directory where wingdbstub.py is located, and I suspect
that's in the zipfile, orwingdbstub.py has __file__ set to a path into
the zipfile.

>      >>One idea is to write code that creates the file in a temporary
>     location
>      >>and sets the environment variable before importing wingdbstub.
>      That way,
>      >>the user doesn't actually need to place wingdebugpw somewhere
>     manually.
>
> Is this still needed when the file is in the Settings directory?

No, then it should be found.  The issue here may be that Wing is failing
completely on trying to find the wingdebugpw file in the zipfile (it is
looking there first) and never trying the user settings directory.  If
that's the case, then setting WINGDB_PWFILEPATH to just the settings
directory may fix it.  If you haven't already, see the code in wingdbstub.py
around line 92 (and the comments there).

> On this system, there is only one wingdebugpw- and it is in the settings
> directory.
> While debugging this issue yesterday, we copied it ot the project
> directory, but  Wing still cannot find it there either

It doesn't look in the project directory, as the debug process has no
idea where that is.

Please let me know if this helps (or not).