[wingide-users] go-to definition did nothing on method

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jun 19 14:00:42 MDT 2008

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> I have an instance of a class called "guard", and it has a
> "statusUpdate" method.
>
> In my code I have
>
> guard.statusUpdate(event)
>
> On it I did a Ctrl-left-click over the method name and nothing happened,
> nor did a right-click -> go-to definition. If I highlight "guard", it
> takes me to the initial declaration of that variable, but I wanted it to
> jump to the method.

Goto definition relies on static analysis of your source to try to find
the definition of the method, but it does not succeed in every case.
You may need to add a isinstance hint to help the analyzer determine the
probable type of the 'guard' variable; please see
http://wingware.com/doc/edit/helping-wing-analyze-code for more information.

Cheers,