[wingide-users] Enhancement: List/Goto caller (Goto source reverse)

Rex Turnbull rex at dicad.de
Mon Jun 9 07:46:35 MDT 2008

Wolfram Kriesing schrieb/wrote:
> I guess this is old and had been asked a lot of times ...
> Since there is a goto-source-definition already, I guess there is some kind of
> map which can be evaluated backwards to show all usages of a function.
>

> I just thought this would be great
> 1) mouse over "def my_function()"
> 2) right mous click
> 3) select "usages in ..." which opens a list of modules+functions
> where "my_function" is used
> 4) clicking one jumps there

There is a tool that helps: Bicycle Repair Man
I use it on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I have to leave my posh
WingIDE-Nest and go to SciTE.
Find reference lists all likely calls with line number and certainty.

Other BRM-Tools that I would love to see in WingIDE are inline and
extract local variable. Extract method would be nice, too.

A nice thing about the BRM is that it doesn't have its own UI, leaving
that to an 'integration script' of sorts.

I gave a talk about the BRM in February, if anyone wants, you can see a
pdf version (in German) at the following link.
http://wiki.python.de/RexTurnbull?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=BicycleRepairman_de.pdf

Perhaps there are some who are up to checking out the integration
script  scitebike.py  and helping out Wing like those that worked out
the pylint panel.

Rex