[wingide-users] Enhancement: List/Goto caller (Goto sourcereverse)

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Jun 4 08:42:53 MDT 2008

Mateusz Biliński wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Tom Stambaugh <tms at zeetix.com> wrote:
>> Good luck, folks.
>> [...]
>>
>> I do not believe the Python language metastructure, as is, supports anything
>> this sophisticated. I suppose it might be possible to extend the environment
>> by writing a tool that examines the compiled PYC files, but even that would
>> depend on whether the symbol is actually present in the compiled form of a
>> method -- I don't know the answer to that.
>
> If it's possible to go one way. Then it's possible to go back again.

Unfortunately that's not really true -- finding the point of defn starting
from one use of a symbol doesn't mean you can also then find all the other
points of use.  E.g. they may not be on the Python Path or in the project
that Wing is supplied with.  This may or may not seem obvious.  I suspect
there will be plenty of people for whom it's not, and that's pretty
understandable actually given the nature of this.

We do plan to add this kind of feature (me wants! me wants! ;-) but the issue
of not finding some uses is certainly there.