[wingide-users] Can't use custom font on OS X

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Tue Jun 3 21:29:33 MDT 2008

On Jun 1, 2008, at 11:02 PM, Wingware Support wrote:

> Pete wrote:
>> I'm running the latest Wing on OS X.  I've installed the Terminus
>> font [0] under OS X and it works fine.  In an X11 terminal, I can
>> see the font using xlsfont.  However, it doesn't appear in Wing's
>> preferences.  Any ideas?
>
> This may be due to where OS X puts the fonts and what font path GTK
> is set up to use in Wing.  You may be able to edit the Fonts directory
> list in bin/gtk-bin/etc/fonts/fonts.conf in your Wing install (inside
> the .app bundle under Contents/MacOS).

So i got this working, more or less, after much headbanging.  I've
attached a diff to /Applications/WingIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/gtk-
bin/etc/fonts/fonts.conf The path & cache changes are straight out of /
usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/fonts.conf

The terminus section disables antialiasing b/c it looks like butt on
that font; removing the synthetic bold/italicing also seemed like a
good idea - I'd rather choose a different font if that's needed.

> I think GTK may crash on some OS X fonts, or at least used to, so
> you may
> also want to just copy the font into one of the locations Wing's GTK
> is
> already looking.

Here's a (partial) list of exciting new ways to crash Wing on startup:
a <dir> that references a non-existent path
pcf fonts
syntax error in config file