[wingide-users] Crashes on Windows

Eric Lake ericlake at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 07:34:10 MDT 2008

I am wanting to test Wing IDE 101 3.1.2-1 (rev 18365) but on my
Windows XP systems I am getting a crash (lock up) when trying to open
files. I get the following every time I try to use the program:

One or more Windows shell extensions that are implemented with
pythoncom have been detected.  These can cause Wing to crash when one
of the file dialog boxes are opened.  Please disable or remove the
extensions before running Wing.  See the troubleshooting Microsoft
Windows issues section of the manual for more information

I have looked at the documentation and it says:

1) A few of the demo shell extension COM objects from win32all can cause Wing to
crash if they are registered. The crash occurs when the file open,
save, and add files to
project dialog boxes are used. These extensions may be disabled by
using ShellExView
(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html) or a similiar program
to find and dis-
able them. They can also be uninstalled by running the .py file with
an --unregister
argument.

I have used the tool that it recommends but I am not sure what I
should disable. Can you provide some hints so that I can get the
product to work on my systems?

Eric Lake