[wingide-users] Code Completion

Mike Rooney mxr at qvii.com
Mon Jul 28 10:01:59 MDT 2008

Wingware Support wrote:
> Michael Foord wrote:
>> I have a couple of feature requests for code completion:
>>
>> * If I use members on an object that Wing doesn't know about, it
>> should then start offering them to me in code completion. We use some
>> types with dynamic attributes - and it pains me to repeatedly type
>> the same member names an Wing still not offer them to me via completion.
>>
>> * If I have a method that takes a 'worksheet' parameter, and then use
>> methods on it that are only defined in the 'Worksheet' class, it
>> would be nice if Wing could work out that worksheet is a Worksheet...
>
> These are good ideas.  My current thinking is to have a preference to
> have the auto completer do more guessing and add things like these.
> Right now, the completer is fairly conservative so it doesn't show
> things that may be incorrect.

That sounds like a good way to go. Then you can keep the
conservative-by-default behavior, but also experiment with some really
clever/neat auto-complete ideas like those mentioned above, as well as
auto-completing dictionary keys, keyword arguments, et cetera. Maybe
even long words like OpenOffice does!

Keep up the great work,
Mike