[wingide-users] ipython and enthought

Benjamin Racine bjracine at glosten.com
Mon Jul 14 11:35:10 MDT 2008

Hello,

sh commands like...

cd
ls
pwd

something like ipython's hist

Further, it would also be great if after a debugging session the
ipython (like) session retained the runtime variables for debugging.

Lastly, tab completion and introspection are lovely.

I could go on, but this accounts for a huge percentage of my needs.

Ben R.

<support at wingware.com> wrote:
>> is it possible to call ipython from within wing (instead of
python).
>> It's not possible to set ipython as the Python Executable.  I've
played
>> a bit with it in the OS Commands tool where 'ipython -colors
NoColor'
>> works passably (but not particularly well) on Linux at least.
>
> Would you write a bit more about why ipython doesn't work within
wing?
> It's really strange for me..

Wing's shells are based on the debugger.  They are using the debugger
internals to implement the shell, rather than trying to do terminal
emulation w/ an instance of Python or ipython or whatever.  This is
done this way for a number of reasons, including the need to keep
the debug code in a separate process, and the need for internal
messages to be sent back and forth for auto-completion and calltips
in Wing's GUI.

The OS Commands tools tries to do terminal emulation but ipython uses
more terminal control characters than we've been able to support so
far.

At some point I saw that ipython had hooks designed for integrating it
but we haven't tried to use those and I don't really know how well
that would work.

BTW, it would be useful to know what features of ipython you would
like
to see in Wing's shells.