[wingide-users] ipython and enthought

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sun Jul 13 18:53:20 MDT 2008

Bartosz SKOWRON wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Wingware Support <support at wingware.com> wrote:
>> is it possible to call ipython from within wing (instead of python).
>> It's not possible to set ipython as the Python Executable.  I've played
>> a bit with it in the OS Commands tool where 'ipython -colors NoColor'
>> works passably (but not particularly well) on Linux at least.
>
> Would you write a bit more about why ipython doesn't work within wing?
> It's really strange for me..

Wing's shells are based on the debugger.  They are using the debugger
internals to implement the shell, rather than trying to do terminal
emulation w/ an instance of Python or ipython or whatever.  This is
done this way for a number of reasons, including the need to keep
the debug code in a separate process, and the need for internal
messages to be sent back and forth for auto-completion and calltips
in Wing's GUI.

The OS Commands tools tries to do terminal emulation but ipython uses
more terminal control characters than we've been able to support so far.

At some point I saw that ipython had hooks designed for integrating it
but we haven't tried to use those and I don't really know how well
that would work.

BTW, it would be useful to know what features of ipython you would like
to see in Wing's shells.