[wingide-users] Syntax highlighting for builtins?

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Fri Jul 11 15:00:49 MDT 2008

Stephen,

> Mike Driscoll wrote:
>> Are there any plans to add support for builtins then? Or is there a
>> plug-in that does this that some clever individual has created? I've
>> noticed this with other Python IDE's too and wondered why IDLE seems
>> to be the only popular one that includes builtin hightlighting. I
>> can't be the only one who cares about accidentally shadowing a builtin.
>
> It's not been requested before, as far as I know, so isn't in our
> plans yet.
>
> If you do shadow a builtin, it really doesn't matter unless you need
> to use the
> builtin in the same scope.  In that case it's probably fairly obvious
> what's
> going on.  For example, you could goto-definition on the name and Wing
> would
> go to your shadow's point of definition.
>
> For what it's worth, this is just not an issue I've run into in 10+ years
> of intensive Python programming and I'll be the first to admit that I
> _still_
> don't really know what all the builtins are by name.  I know I do
> shadow len,
> dir, file, and id fairly often and also I suspect hash, quit, and a
> few others
> as well.  The only one I've started to stay away from instinctively is
> 'len'.
>
> Anyway, I suspect others have similar experiences and it's the reason the
> IDEs don't have this.  IDLE may have it since it had somewhat of a
> teaching
> focus early on.

It's not a big deal. It's just something that sticks out to me since
I've been using IDLE extensively since I started being a Python
programmer 2 years ago. While I've never had an issue with it either, I
attribute that to IDLE. I have seen a couple examples of people that did
have that issue when they've posted to comp.lang.py though.

Thanks for the information. It's always good to know how the pros think
and do things.

Mike