[wingide-users] Syntax highlighting for builtins?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jul 11 14:59:25 MDT 2008

Mike Driscoll wrote:
> Are there any plans to add support for builtins then? Or is there a
> plug-in that does this that some clever individual has created? I've
> noticed this with other Python IDE's too and wondered why IDLE seems to
> be the only popular one that includes builtin hightlighting. I can't be
> the only one who cares about accidentally shadowing a builtin.

It's not been requested before, as far as I know, so isn't in our plans yet.

If you do shadow a builtin, it really doesn't matter unless you need to use the
builtin in the same scope.  In that case it's probably fairly obvious what's
going on.  For example, you could goto-definition on the name and Wing would
go to your shadow's point of definition.

For what it's worth, this is just not an issue I've run into in 10+ years
of intensive Python programming and I'll be the first to admit that I _still_
don't really know what all the builtins are by name.  I know I do shadow len,
dir, file, and id fairly often and also I suspect hash, quit, and a few others
as well.  The only one I've started to stay away from instinctively is 'len'.

Anyway, I suspect others have similar experiences and it's the reason the
IDEs don't have this.  IDLE may have it since it had somewhat of a teaching
focus early on.