[wingide-users] Creating file sets

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jul 11 08:28:12 MDT 2008

Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
> I'd like to create a file set so that I can do file searches only in
> specific directories. So I went to the prefs and started a new set. But
> I'm struggling with the Include and Exclude fields. I have a folder with
> many directories in which only a few I'm interested in. So, in Include I
> thought to add the directories I'm interested in like 'Start/FolderA*'
> and 'Start/FolderB*' and in Exlcude add 'Start/*' as Wildcard on
> directories. And then do a search in the folder 'Start'. But that
> doesn't work. How can I do this without having to explicitly create
> exclude wildcards for every folder in 'Start' in which I don't want to
> search? I was hoping that include wins over exclude (or maybe
> configurable per set).   And it would also be nice to copy a set so that
> you can make similar sets but for different folders (but with the same
> excludes like *.pyc etc).

File sets are not designed to be bound to a specific folder, but rather
to specify what files should be included/excluded in a search over some
directory/directories.  The specific directory to search is then set in
the Search in Files tool.

I tend to create multiple instances of the Search in Files tool for the
various directories I commonly like to search, tho it does also remember
recent directories in the Look In popup, so it's also fairly convenient
to switch with those.  From what you're saying, however, I'm guessing
using multiple instances of the tool may get you want you want.