[wingide-users] Main Menu Title Bug

Tom Stambaugh tms at zeetix.com
Thu Jul 3 15:48:50 MDT 2008

I like to drive Wing with the layout set to "One Window per Editor". I
therefore always have a window open called the "Wing IDE Menu:
<projectName>", where "<projectName>" appears to contain the name of a
project file. I say "appears to contain", because when I close a project
file and open another, the title (in the title bar) does not appear to
change.

For example, I work with two large projects, named "mumbleProject.wpr" and
"foobarProject.wpr", respectively. They share some common code, yet I want
each to be independent -- changes in one should never propagate to the other
without some real handsprings on my part. Showing a stale project name in
the title of the Wing IDE Menu window sets up a potentially painful
situation, especially if I get distracted and then return later.  I may look
at the (stale) title of the Wing IDE menu, navigate to the *wrong* common
code file, and then make changes to code in the "foobarProject", thinking
I'm in the "mumbleProject" (or vice versa). This is a bad thing.

Here is a sequence to demonstrate the bug:

1. Invoke the "Project->Close Project" command and then quit.
2. Re-open Wing. It comes up with the title bar containing the string "Wing
IDE Menu: Default Project", as expected.
3. Invoke the "Project->Open Project..." command. Navigate to the directory
where the first project file is located and open the first project file.
I'll use "mumbleProject.wpr".
4. The project opens, but the title bar remains unchanged (it still reads
"Wing IDE Menu: Default Project"). The title bar is now inconsistent with
the project that is actually open.
5. Exit wing and re-start. It comes up with the title bar containing the
string "Wing IDE Menu: mumbleProject.wpr", as hoped.
6. Invoke the "Project->Open Project..." command. Navigate to the directory
where the second project file is located and open the second project file.
I'll use "foobarProject.wpr". The project changes (the title bar of the
"Wing IDE" window changes), but the title bar of the "main" Wing IDE Menu
does not change.

Note that the title can always be refreshed by quitting and restarting Wing,
so it appears to be merely a stale UI problem.

Thanks,
Tom S.