[wingide-users] WingIDE and virtualenv

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:43:02 MDT 2008

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 12:14 -0600, Chris Perkins wrote:
> I was wondering if there was planned support for virtualenv any time
> in the near future.

I too would like to see this.

> Because of this I lose a lot of the benefits of auto-complete/source assist, because the packages do not exist in the python which runs WingIDE.

What I have discovered (with Stephan Deibel's help of course) is to
start Wing after activating a terminal window in virtualenv.  Then I
also load a python file that sets sys.path to my eggs directories, i.e.

import sys

sys.path[0:0] = [

as my Debug File (See the Debug menu).

This file then sets the Effective Python Path (see:Source Analysis Stats
under the Source menu option).

Now this doesn't fix the issue with the Python Shell window but code
completion works perfectly.  I do note though that adding files to my
code in the project doesn't get added to the Source Completion function
unless I restart Wing.

So this solution isn't perfect but it does help to use the wonderful
features of WingIDE.

Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services
Skype ID == timothy.cook
*You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or   *
*from this link http://timothywayne.cook.googlepages.com/home*