[wingide-users] upgrading on windows

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Jul 2 09:30:21 MDT 2008

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> What is the procedure to upgrade WingIDE on windows? Uninstall and
> install the new one? If I don't do that, I've found that I end up with
> cruft from older releases lying around, like old install directories.

If upgrading from say 3.1.1 to 3.1.2, the install should replace the 3.1.1
install so long as you go though the installer w/ the defaults (typically
you use the same install directory for 3.1.2 as you did for 3.1.1).

If upgrading from say 3.0.x to 3.1.y then Wing installs 3.1 independently
of 3.0 (in separate directories) so they can both be on your machine.
I'd recommend against installing 3.1.y into the same directory as 3.0.x.
The caveat here is if you then later remove 3.0 it blows away the file
associations in the registry, which is easiest fixed by just installing
3.1.y again.

The installer should remove files, but it may be failing to remove everything,
including patches or other files added after the installation.  If all else
fails, remove the installation, then manually remove remaining files, and
then install again.

In any case, what the installer writes is just the stuff in the install
directory and the file association registry entries.

Hope that helps.