[wingide-users] Debugging a 2nd thread

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jan 31 15:05:39 MST 2008

Simon Pickles wrote:
> Can Wing IDE debug a second thread?
>
> I have a twisted reactor running in my main thread and have used
> reactor.callInThread(myFunc()) to run my application in a second thread.
>
> Unfortunately, breakpoints in the second thread don't work. I thought
> multithread debugging was a feature of wing IDE personal, as stated on
> the website?

It should work if it's in a thread in the same process, but from some
things I found googling this callInThread may maintain a thread pool
in separate processes -- does that sound right?  If so the issue is
that Wing can't automatically debug spawned Python processes.

It's also possible that Twisted does something odd in starting the
thread, in which case we might fail to debug it.  But from what I'm
seeing in threadpool.py it's just using threading.Thread.

Is there a simple test case I could try?  And what version of Twisted
are you using?