[wingide-users] Re: Auto-completion

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jan 31 08:27:28 MST 2008

Avner Ben wrote:
>> Is your use case that you end up scrolling through the list to find
>> things, or are you just trying to get locals to show up before
>> globals so you can type and use fewer arrow keys to get to a match?
> Both!
> I am trying to avoid this, but wxPython adds many names. In addition, my
> project alone adds some 400 public classes and functions.

OK, I think I have a sense for what you're running into.  The solution
is probably to provide an option to filter the completion list so only
matching symbols are shown, rather than all symbols.  We haven't been
doing that because often people are just hunting around.  However, if we
define "matching" as containing the fragment it could be quite useful.

We could also show locals first, or even most recent N first, the locals,
then the rest.  This works reasonably if the list is a filtered list
rather than the current complete list.

I should note the current completer code (provided by Scintilla)
may make that harder to implement than you would think.  This may be
the motivation to at last abandon the completer popup provided by
Scintilla and write our own.

> Talking about context sensitivity, how about ADDING names? For example,
> it would be nice if typing "def __" inside a class would bring up all
> the reserved method names, or at least the frequent ones, such as
> "__init__" and "__iter__", minus those that are already defined.

That's on my list too.  I'm working on auto-completion related things
now.  I plan to at least look at adding some of these things while I'm
in this code, but I can't promise what I'll actually manage.  As noted
above, the filtering/grouping may carried significant work along with
it so it may well not be in 3.1.

>> BTW, I haven't been able to find the thread on this topic that
>> you referred to -- neither on the mailing list or in our support
>> archives, but I just searched for "avner" and "skilldesign" which
>> perhaps isn't correct.
> That was a long time ago, may be two years. I am afraid I have kept no
> records of it in my email client.

OK, no problem.  That may also be why I didn't find it.

Thanks,

- Stephan