[wingide-users] Please fix comment wrapping already!

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Thu Jan 17 14:20:27 MST 2008

On Wednesday December 19 2007 9:56:51 am Pete wrote:
> <nag>
>
> # this is a comment. It is too long for this line.  Maybe I'll wrap it.
> Hmm, that didn't work so well
>
> # this is a comment. It is too long for this line. Maybe I'll wrap it. Hmm,
> that didn't work so well
> ^ 2nd line - not a comment
>
> Yes, I know this is in your todo list already, but we've been waiting for a
> fix for a *long* time.  I probably encounter this bug at least half a dozen
> times a day.  I still <3 Wing, I'm not going to switch to another IDE,
> etc., but it's really, really annoying.
>
> Can you fix it? Please?!?
>
> </nag>

Wanted to say thanks to the Wing guys for fixing this in 3.0.3.  I got a reply
that a patch had been committed to their SVN less than 12 hours after my
email.  Wingware's rapid support response is truly impressive (feel free to
quote me).

Some minor nits though...

Leading spaces seemed to be stripped in such cases, in contrast to multi-line
wrapping:

# this is a comment. It is too long for this line.  Maybe I'll wrap it. Hmm,
that didn't work so well

wrapped:

#this is a comment. It is too long for this line.  Maybe I'll wrap it. Hmm,
#that didn't work so well

compare to multiline wrapping:

# this is a comment. It is too long for this line.  Maybe I'll wrap it. Hmm,
# that didn't work so well it's super long I can't belive how long this
comment is.  Wow, I wish wrote comments this long in my real code

wraps to:

# this is a comment. It is too long for this line.  Maybe I'll wrap it. Hmm,
# that didn't work so well it's super long I can't belive how long this
# comment is. Wow, I wish wrote comments this long in my real code

Similarly, wrapping a single line comment starting with ## doesn't quite work
right:

## It is too long for this line.  Maybe I'll wrap it. Hmm, that didn't work so
well it's super long I can't belive how long the comment is

wraps with a single # on the 2nd line:

## It is too long for this line.  Maybe I'll wrap it. Hmm, that didn't work
#so well it's super long I can't belive how long the comment is

Peter Fein   ||   773-575-0694   ||   pfein at pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~pfein/   ||   PGP: 0xCCF6AE6B
irc: pfein at freenode.net   ||   jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com