[wingide-users] Save As (Project) - Beware!

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 10:46:28 MST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 10:53 PM, Yarko T <yarkot1 at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> NOTE:  I did NOT type the path in the "File name" box of the dialog --- I
> selected directory from the dialog (as you see).
>
> This should add the extension on "Save" which is what every other program I
> ever remember working with does (NOT change directories).
>
> It's a small but annoying point.

I don't think this is a bug. Most programs, at least in a Windows
environment (not sure about POSIX), use "File name" for navigation as
well as for naming the actual file once navigation is complete. The
intuitive default is what Wing does--navigate to the directory you
typed/clicked on. The default can be overridden by providing the .wpr
extension explicitly, in which case your foo.wpr file will get created
as a sibling of the directory foo.

If I were a Wing designer, the very most I would consider doing is
adding a switch between the current behavior and a "file name does not
control navigation" behavior. But I also think that would be an
anti-feature.

-Max

--
"The presentation or 'gift' of the Holy Ghost simply confers upon a
man the right to receive at any time, when he is worthy of it and

Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.