[wingide-users] Save As (Project) - Beware!

Yarko T yarkot1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 20:45:35 MST 2008

Hi -

Just downloaded WingIDE after reading all the raves about how it's better
than Komodo at finding references, definitions, etc.

So - to get familiar w/ Django, I decided to try WIng.   (Running Windows
XP, Python2.5.1,etc.).

Going thru the Django tutorials, I dove right into wing, and that was
easy.    And yes - it is much better than Komodo at parsing (I did have to
set up paths w/in my Python 2.5 space to the Django stuff - ? not default,
really? - well, but after that ---  GREAT!   I can see definitions in their
source (and with that alternatives -- so very useful).

Creating a new project from the top of mysite directory also worked just as
I would have expected - again, great stuff.

So I was a little surprised when - as I started to edit w/ Wing, and go thru
my learning, I went to save my project.    Well, default name and path
didn't work for me (of course!), so I browsed to put this in the area with
my workspace, and name it according to my project/site -  so I didn't enter
the Wing Project file extension (don't even know what it is at this
point!).   I ASSUMED since the filetype in the dialog was Wing Project, the
extension would be automatically added....  I named the project the same as
my directory containing the project ---- that is the directory was "mysite"
and the Wing project, at the parent of "./mysite" was also named "mysite".

I expected the file extension to be automatically added.

What happened?

!   Changed directories into "./myproject" ---- I went back to working and
ALMOST closed the dialog --- but I checked "all files" and saw --->  NO
PROJECT FILE WAS CREATED.

Fortunately, I cancelled, and did "save as" again, BUT this time ONLY
replaced the filename portion of the "default" name (!).

Would you please fix this?

 When the "Save As" type is listed as "Wing Project" --- would you PLEASE
add the correct file extension (*.wpr)!!!!    This is SO commonly done, I
was really surprised when Wing didn't.

Thanks,
Yarko