[wingide-users] Different sys.path between Python Shell and Debug Probe

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Feb 12 10:45:07 MST 2008

Jonathan Mozes wrote:
> An interesting difference between the Python Shell Tool and the Debug
> Probe Tool is that their sys.path list is different.
>
> This, of course, causes module execution to differ between the two
> tools. Any idea why this is happening?

I suspect you have PYTHONSTARTUP defined and that's being loaded
in the Python Shell but not in the debug process, which then
defines the state in the Debug Probe.

Do you see the same sort of differences (other than inclusion of
our debug\\tserver of course) when you compare the Python shell
outside of Wing and running your code outside of Wing?

The environment can also be affected by which file you're debugging
if you've set up per-file debug properties in your project.  But
this seems less likely, from what you wrote and looking at the
significantly different environment.

Please let me know if that doesn't explain it...