[wingide-users] License the WingIDE framework for custom applications?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Sun Feb 10 19:12:43 MST 2008

Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> how about the idea of splitting off a "pythonic Eclipse" platform from
> WingIDE? I.e. a generic application framework usable for any kind of
> custom applications?

We might consider doing something like this on a case by case basis,
though it's unclear how generic things are in their current state.  We
wrote a good bit of it to be generic, but not everything is tested or
fully fleshed out since only one application is using the code.

I have seen demos of envisage (http://code.enthought.com/envisage/) that
look interesting.  I've never used it, though -- and to answer a
potential question, we don't have any plans to port Wing away from its
current gtk / pygtk gui toolkit.

Anyone is interested in bundling Wing or using parts of Wing codebase
should contact us directly.