[wingide-users] automating the setting of breakpoints

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Feb 4 09:09:57 MST 2008

Jason Galyon wrote:
> I am debugging some generated scripts for automating programs that
> handle not finding elements by returning non zero number.
>
> To debug, I set all these points as breakpoints.  However, this REALLY
> gets old and I was hoping that there was a way I could automate this.
>
> Is there a way to set breakpoints on a file given certain conditions?
>
> Note I am not talking about setting conditional breakpoints but rather
> setting breakpoints conditionally.
>
> Wow that sounds aweful.
>
> For an example here, I would take all 'return 1' lines and set a
> breakpoint there.
>
> Is this possible?

Yes, with an add-on script for Wing.  See the script set_breaks_from_markers
in scripts/debugger-extensions.py in your Wing installation.  You'll want
to copy/rename that and replace its scan for markers w/ scan for the types
of code you want to set breakpoints on.

Extending Wing with scripts is documented here:

http://wingware.com/doc/scripting

Please let me know if you run into any problems with that.