[wingide-users] Debugger / shell not working

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Dec 10 09:32:38 MST 2008

Jules Stevenson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Debugger and shell have given up on me. I think since the last major
> upgrade. I now get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing IDE 3.1\bin\wingdb.py", line 490, in
> main
>     netserver = FindNetServerModule(winghome, user_settings)
>   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing IDE 3.1\bin\wingdb.py", line 347, in
> FindNetServerModule
>     raise ImportError('Could not import netserver')
> ImportError: Could not import netserver
> wingdb.py: Error: Failed to start the debug server
> wingdb.py: Error: You may be running an unsupported version of Python
> wingdb.py: Python version = 2.6b2 (r26b2:65106, Jul 18 2008, 18:24:10) [MSC
> v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
> wingdb.py: WINGHOME='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Wing IDE 3.1'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Wing IDE 3.1\bin\wingdb.py", line 501, in
> main
>     sys.exit(-1)
> SystemExit: -1
>
> I appreciate the python version is a little esoteric but I'm locked into it
> [it's required by the 3d app we use].

The issue is that Python during alpha/beta series often changes the byte code
version number so the extension libraries we're shipping for the debugger won't
load in older alpha/beta versions.

If you can't upgrade, the only options are either to downgrade Wing or
to recompile the debugger support yourself against your particular version
of Python.  For the latter, you need to sign an NDA if you haven't already,
to get the sources:

http://wingware.com/pub/wingide/support/source-non-discl.pdf

Hope this helps.