[wingide-users] Python 3.0

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Dec 4 08:10:31 MST 2008

Crend King wrote:
> Since Python 3.0 is released today, I wonder does Wing IDE officially
> support it or not? I tried on my computer, and got errors about "no
> Python installed". If not, do Wing IDE team has plan to support it soon?

Wing does not yet support Python 3.0.  I can't comment on any time line
for supporting it, as the work still involves too many unknowns.  I did
do some preliminary work on the debugger a while back (during 3.0 alpha
series) and ran into some fundamental changes in the threading code
that are probably a good example of the things we'll have to solve to
get the debugger working:  It's not just a question of running 2to3
on the Python code and tweaking the extension modules, but there are
basic functional changes that make a difference for the fairly low
level code in the debugger.  I'm hoping maybe some of those have gone
away since 3.0 alpha, but I don't know yet.

I can't comment on what it'll take to make the source analyzer work since
I've not looked into that yet.  That may be easier, and it may not. ;-)

Are you more concerned about the source analysis / completion / etc or
the debugger?