[wingide-users] A fix request

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Aug 8 09:40:53 MDT 2008

Marcus.CM wrote:
> I notice this behavior that i find giving me a problem during debugging
> in Wing-IDE. When i set the breakpoint at any source and i run it, while
> waiting for the breakpoint to hit, i go and do something else
> like typing in a console box or email or and suddenly when the
> breakpoint hits, Wing will take focus and whatever i was typing ended up
> in the breakpoint instead.  This causes unnecessary frustration as i
> tried to undo any text that ended up in the debugging source that wasnt
> meant to be there.
>
> I tried the same on visual studio and i dont get interrupted the same
> way like this. Instead VS gracefully just blinks on the window when i am
> in some other window typing away so i can just switch to it and continue
> debugging.
>
> Hope this could be addressed, i find snatching you away from whatever
> you are doing when the breakpoint hits and taking focus away from other
> applications is doing more cycles than productivity.

I agree the current behavior isn't so good, tho I also suspect we'ld get
complaints if we stopped moving the focus.  It may be that we want to
avoid it if there's recent interaction w/ keyboard or mouse, or provide
an option for choosing a policy.  In any case, I've noted this as something
to look at fixing in the future.