[wingide-users] make Wing IDE portable

Crend King crendking at live.com
Tue Aug 5 05:39:59 MDT 2008

I'm trying to make Wing IDE Professional portable so that I can put it
into a flash drive. First, I tried to find any program parameters to
support user profile directory redirected, but cannot find anything.
Then I tried to set USERPROFILE to a sub-directory of WingHome. This
works, but all dialogs in Wing IDE related to USERPROFILE will be error.

Then I tried to modify source code. In wing.py, I modified the related
variable in config module to my profile directory (such as
config.kUserWingDir). Everything is fine, except I cannot debug in Wing
IDE now. The reason is, Wing IDE still think the wingdebugpw file should
be in the USERPROFILE directory, and since it cannot locate it, debug is
gone.

Now I located a function,
debug.tserver.abstract._GetUserWingProfileDir(). It exactly displays the
USERPROFILE dir. Unfortunately, there is no _SetUserWingProfileDir()
function.

I understand modifying the code is bad. I do not have any intention to
distribute the work, just make it more convenient. Can anyone please
help me make it? Or will Wing IDE provide user directory redirection?

Thank you!