[wingide-users] Doctests in 3.1-b3... confused

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Apr 28 10:36:01 MDT 2008

Thanks for trying the doctest support; this is very helpful to us.

> The first thing I find non-intuitive is that when I open a Python file
> containing doctests, nothing happens. Most options in the debug menu are
> grayed out, the "Run Tests" button does nothing. It seems I first have
> to do Testing > Add current file. I'd expect doctest support to be
> available on the current file by default.

This is something we'll add in future versions, but right now Wing does
not analyze files to see if they contain tests.

> Then when I add my file and do "Run all tests" I run into an exception
> in unittest.py. Unittest? It seems obvious my file contains only
> doctests. Apparently not. I discovered "Default test framework" in the
> project settings, and set it to doctest.

Note that you can also set this on a per-file basis in the file
properties dialog.

> Now testing works and I see a tree structure with the tests in my File.
> But when I right-click one of the individual tests ("Example #2") in a
> function's docstring, and select "Goto source", the first line of my
> file is highlighted instead of the line containing my test.

This and the other gui failures are bugs which we'll look at soon.

> Running all tests takes about 2 seconds, while they're very trivial (see
> source code below).

What platform are you on?  On my fairly current Windows system, I do see
this delay but running them in a cmd shell also seems to take maybe a
second.  I suspect there is overhead here, but it's probably a constant
amount of overhead per test run; I'll try to see where it's coming from
in any case.

Thanks again,