[wingide-users] Attaching the Debugger to the Python Shell Tool

Jonathan Mozes jon at rayv.com
Mon Apr 28 09:44:06 MDT 2008

You won't - If what you're interested is writing an application for the
application's sake (and, of course, a consumer...) - then you have no
reason to use the second paradigm.

If, however, your ultimate goal is to research and analyze data, then
Python gives you're a way of both coding (you say 'little bits of code',
but I have a research code base of tens of thousands of lines...) your
research tools, and then using them as Add-on tools for the Interactive
Shell - a very powerful shell indeed, (generally) unavailable in most
programming languages.

Of course, one could always debate whether such research should be done
using a programming language, rather than using a Mathematical Analysis
Tool (such as Matlab). Being a programmer, I know what my preferences
are (hint, I don't like starting my array indices from 1...).

Jon