[wingide-users] Attaching the Debugger to the Python Shell Tool

Jonathan Mozes jon at rayv.com
Mon Apr 28 09:00:24 MDT 2008

When I'm planning on debugging something, this is exactly the way I do
it.

However, I sometimes encounter interesting errors while using my apps in
'research' mode (using a standard Python Shell). This research entails
reading a very large, memory intensive datasets, which take a
considerable amount of time to read, making a second read (in order to
init a debugging environment) unwanted.

In these cases, if I were running a different shell, I would use pdb in
order to debug the app.

Jon

P.S. - Not exactly to the point, this difficulty (as well as my previous
request of running multi-threaded apps in the Shell Tool) displays the
two different paradigms of working with Python, the more common one
treating Python as a programming language with the added bonus of an
interactive shell; The second paradigm (One which I'm a devoted follower
of) treats Python as an excellent, versatile R&D tool, capable of
handling and manipulating complex data structures in real-time.
Naturally, an IDE better-suited for the second paradigm provides tools
and helpers for running Real-Time, user-interrupt-intensive, Python
Shells.