[wingide-users] Losing Preference settings

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Apr 22 10:07:55 MDT 2008

Simon Pickles wrote:
> using wing-personal 3.0.4-1 on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 (386), I am
> occasionally losing all my preferences which are resetting to default.
>
> This happens when the program starts, and I get a message saying "Wing
> needs to restart".
>
> Font sizes, auto completion options need to be entered again.
>
> I am switching the project between two computers regularly, but thought
> preferences were set at environment level, not project level.

Preferences are stored in ~/.wingide3/preferences.  You may want to keep
a copy of that file and compare/restore it when this happens.

What does the "Wing needs to restart" message look like?  Wing itself only
does it when it installs updates at startup, and that certainly should
not wipe your prefs.  I've just tested it w/ 3.0.4 on Ubuntu and verified
that upgrade at startup doesn't wipe prefs for me.

However, it's worth submitting a bug report from Wing's help menu then next
time this happens and include the error log -- it may show us something
that has gone wrong.