[wingide-users] PEP-8 reformatting

brucedickey at micron.com brucedickey at micron.com
Tue Apr 8 13:29:17 MDT 2008

________________________________

From: wingide-users-bounces at wingware.com
[mailto:wingide-users-bounces at wingware.com] On Behalf Of Chris Curvey
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:47 PM
To: Wingware Support
Cc: wingide-users at wingware.com
Subject: Re: [wingide-users] PEP-8 reformatting

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Wingware Support <support at wingware.com>
wrote:

	Paul Sijben wrote:

		Is there a way to have WingIDE reformat my code to
comply with PEP-8?

	There isn't a tool in Wing to do specifically this, although the
Indentation
	tool may be useful for converting to 4-space indentation from
another style,
	the Editor / Line Wrapping / Edge Markers pref may be useful for
seeing
	79-char line limit, and Wing can handling savings files in other
encodings
	(best done w/ encoding comment, but also possible w/ File
Properties).

	A PEP-8 prettifier/converter isn't a bad idea, although even
with such a tool
	I'd personally be hesitant to reformat old code just to comply
with PEP-8 (or
	any standard).  It creates a huge bump in the revision control
history of the
	code that makes it hard to compare versions across the
formatting change.

But what might be cool would be a PEP-8 checker (kinda like the way Wing
puts up yellow underlines when you have inconsistent, but still valid,
indentations.

	Wing IDE users list
	http://wingware.com/lists/wingide

--
I am often wrong, but I am never in doubt.

> It creates a huge bump in the revision control history of the code
that makes it hard to compare versions across the formatting change.

But one might want to take that hit once on relatively stable vcs-tagged
code, perhaps when taking over someone else's code. If there are a lot
of diffs, there is no point in running a checker either, unless you are
going to reformat -- unless maybe just to see how extensive the diffs
are.

BD