[wingide-users] WingIDE 3.1 beta OS X odd window behavior

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Tue Apr 8 10:13:13 MDT 2008

On 8. april. 2008, at 17.55, John Goodleaf wrote:
> Has anyone else seen this?

Yes, it's a Leopard X11 bug affecting all GTK applications. See:

   http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/ticket/8

> I have OS X 10.5 leopard with 'spaces' (multiple desktops) enabled.
> I have
> WingIDE 3.1 beta running in one space with a web browser running in
> another space. Periodically, focus switches to WingIDE in its space.
> It's
> really annoying, but I have no idea whether it's wing or X11 or
> Leopard or
> some bizarre combination of those things.

Because X11 passes on mouse events to GTK widgets regardless of Space
or wether X11 is in front, tooltips will be shown whenever your mouse
hits a button position (x, y) even if the WingIDE button is on another
Space. And because you tied X11 to another Space Spaces will bring it
into focus for you (resulting in the switch).

The workaround is to not tie X11 to another Space. Annoying but true.
2.2.0 (out soon I hope) will have a better workaround.

Martijn Pieters