[wingide-users] syntax error highlighting while typing

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Sep 21 08:33:24 MDT 2007

Luc Bourhis wrote:
> While typing any Python construct, e.g.
> if a == 0:
> b = 1
> if I stop typing to think for a couple of seconds, then Wing highlights
> the syntax error: the code is always incorrect of course since it is
> incomplete. Basically, only after I typed the "1" I am spared the syntax
> error underlining.
>
> I find that wiggly red underlining quite annoying while I am typing for
> it does not tell me anything I don't know.
>
> Would it be possible to highlight the syntax errors in a less intrusive
> manner? Or even to let the user disable that feature altogether? Unless
> I miss something, it is always on, isn't it?

You're correct that the feature can't be turned off right now.  We
could add a preference, of course.

One idea is to never show an error until the caret leaves that logical
line.  There's a fairly long delay before we show it when the caret
is still in the line, but it sounds like it's not long enough.

Thanks for the suggestion.