[wingide-users] Missing breakpoints & projects

Tom Stambaugh tms at zeetix.com
Mon Sep 3 08:42:30 MDT 2007

I've just discovered a new (to me, at least) mechanism that seems to explain
why WingIDE seems to ignore breakpoints from time to time. Perhaps everybody
else already knows this, but it is a surprise to me. I don't want to report
it as a "bug" yet, because I might be mistaken, and it might even be a
"feature".

I'm working on a large, object-oriented framework. I have recently started
using projects to organize "assemblies" (collections of related classes)
within that framework. I thus have multiple projects, each with a disjoint
set of classes. I've just verified that the breakpoint settings within a
particular class (file) seem to be stored in whatever project is active when
the breakpoint is created.

The bug/feature/phenomena occurs when I do the following:
1. Open projectA.
2. During debugging, open class B.Foo, contained in projectB.
3. Set a breakpoint somewhere in B.Foo
4. Save projectA.
5. Terminate the current debugging thread
6. Open projectB.
7. Start a new thread, hoping to stop on the breakpoint created at step (3),
above.

To my surprise, the thread created in step 7 will NOT stop. This is because
it appears that the breakpoint I created is visible only to projectA.

I'm not confident that this is precisely what happens, because I haven't
played with it much. For example, it might be that the "enabled/disabled"
checkbox is what varies between projects. I have, however, verified that
SOME connection exists between breakpoints in a file and the projects that
contain that file, this is news to me. I always thought, rightly or wrongly,
that there was ONE class file and ONE set of breakpoints (and their status)
unique to that file. This is apparently not the case in this version
(v2.1.4-2) of Wing IDE Professional.

Thx,
Tom