[wingide-users] Projects and files

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Fri Oct 26 12:42:26 MDT 2007

Tom Stambaugh wrote:
> I'm using Wing IDE Professional, v3.0.0-1 (rev 16515).
>
> In my preferences, under Preferences->Files->Projects, I have  "Auto-Adding"
> set to "Never Auto-add Files." I created my project by specifying "Add
> Directory" at the time I created the project.
>
> I therefore expect this project to have ONLY those files that were present
> when I created the project. If I add a file to the relevant directory
> *after* saving the project, I expect that file to NOT appear in the project
> until I explicitly add it; this is my understanding of why I specify "Never
> Auto-add Files".
>
> Yet, each time I add a file (such as, for example, when I preserve a backup
> copy for future reference), I notice that the new file automatically appears
> in the list of files for the project. This seems, to me, to be a bug -- it
> appears that my "Never Auto-add Files" preference selection is being
> ignored.

It's an old preference that probably should be removed.  What it
means now is "auto-add files to a project that's not auto-updating"
which is of marginal use and confusing.

What you want to do instead is to right-click on the top level
directory or directories in your project and turn off the
"watch for external changes" property.

Sorry about the confusion.