[wingide-users] Search in files still broken

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Tue Nov 27 20:15:27 MST 2007

Tom Stambaugh wrote:
> I'm using WingIDE Professional 3.0.1-1 (rev 16734). My project is large,
> with multiple directories and multiple directory levels.
>
> I have a class -- "It.py" in a directory named
> "site-packages\Mumble\Kernel\Core\". It provides a method, call it "foobar".
> That method has callers all over the project. When I set the "Look in:"
> field of the "Search in Files" tab to contain "site-packages", and search
> for "def foobar", I get no hits. When I set the "Look in:" field to
> "site-packages\Mumble\Kernel\Core\" (navigating several levels deep), I get
> the expected hit. Yes, the "Recursive Directory Search" item under the
> "Options" button is checked.
>
> In a large project, with many files and many more methods, this is a serious
> obstacle. It is, to my knowledge, the only way to find all implementers of a
> given method -- a rather serious shortcoming, given python's "duck typing".
>
> Surely I'm not the first python developer to stumble across this bug --
> what's the deal?

BTW, in addition to submitting a bug report from Wing's Help menu w/ error
log included, could you check whether it's just missing that string or
missing the files entirely by searching on, say, "def" or some other common
string?  I'm trying to see at what level it's failing.

One thought was that maybe Wing can't list items in some directory between
site-packages and site-packages\Mumble\Kernel\Core\ because of disk
permissions, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Also, you may want to try upgrading to Wing 3.0.2 since we did fix some
bugs w/ long path names and dealing with file names/locations in general.
I'm not sure it'll help, but worth ruling out things we've fixed with
that release.