[wingide-users] Search in files still broken

Tom Stambaugh tms at zeetix.com
Tue Nov 27 16:29:46 MST 2007

I'm using WingIDE Professional 3.0.1-1 (rev 16734). My project is large,
with multiple directories and multiple directory levels.

I have a class -- "It.py" in a directory named
"site-packages\Mumble\Kernel\Core\". It provides a method, call it "foobar".
That method has callers all over the project. When I set the "Look in:"
field of the "Search in Files" tab to contain "site-packages", and search
for "def foobar", I get no hits. When I set the "Look in:" field to
"site-packages\Mumble\Kernel\Core\" (navigating several levels deep), I get
the expected hit. Yes, the "Recursive Directory Search" item under the
"Options" button is checked.

In a large project, with many files and many more methods, this is a serious
obstacle. It is, to my knowledge, the only way to find all implementers of a
given method -- a rather serious shortcoming, given python's "duck typing".

Surely I'm not the first python developer to stumble across this bug --
what's the deal?